I'm bringing back the Homework page, where I suggest supplemental studies to assist your learning and practice, and to make sure you are on the path that heads into deep studies, rather than spiritual tourism or dress up. Surface level never advances! We are in a dark age of ignorance. There's too much information available but absolutely no discernment about which information is valid and which is bullshit. Move away from the masses in mediocrity and embrace intelligence, attention to detail, personal responsibility, and profundity.
Aries Season (Mar 20-Apr 19)
- Equinox observances
- Focus on skull loop in asana practice. Aries rules the head. Keep a cool head and keep your head on straight.
In asana practice, work on tadasana, adho mukha svanasana, virasana, supta virasana, bhujangasana, setu bandha *all with the focus on palate back/skull loop.
Pisces season (Feb 18-Mar 19)
- Maha Shivaratri observances
- Sequence: Focus on foot therapy. Foundation. Four corners root down and pull up into the center. Active Muscle Energy.
tadasana, urdhva hastasana, uttanasana,
r lunge, parsvottanasana, parvritta trikonasana, urdhva prasarita eka padasana, crossed ankle uttanasana, uttanasana, port o potty.
l lunge, parsvottanasana, parvritta trikonasana, urdhva prasarita eka padasana, crossed ankle uttanasana, uttanasana, port o potty.
uttkatasana, tadasana, urdhva hastasana, uttanasana, plank, chatturanga dandasana, low bhujangasana, medium bhujangasana, release.
ridge-top cobra, release. chatturanga dandasana, plank, adho mukha svanasana, uttanasana.
r leg up urd. pras. ekapada, ardha chandrasana, urd. pras. ekapada, parvritta ardha chandra, release, uttanasana.
l leg up urd. pras. ekapada, ardha chandrasana, urd. pras. ekapada, parvritta ardha chandra, release, uttanasana.
port o potty, malasana, uttanasana.
r leg lunge, low lunge, low lunge with ridge top cobra, low lung with twisted thigh stretch, ardha hanumanasana (dandasana foot, virasana foot variations). low lunge, high lunge, uttanasana.
l leg lunge, ow lunge, low lunge with ridge top cobra, low lung with twisted thigh stretch, ardha hanumanasana (dandasana foot, virasana foot variations). low lunge, high lunge, uttanasana.
virasana, supta virasana or supported supta virasana. adho mukha svanasana, uttanasana.
gomukhasana, agnistambasana, switch sides.
janu sirsasana - between knees variation, then full variation. switch sides.
triangmukhaipada paschimottanasana, krounchasana. switch sides.
ardhabaddhapadma paschimottanasana, padmasana. switch sides.
Books: The Yoga of Discipline by Swami Chidvilasananda, Siva Sutras, Tantra The Path of Ecstasy by Feuerstein
- Please study the bible (aka Light on Yoga by Mr. Iyengar). Start at the beginning. Don't assume you "know how to do tadasana." Do you? Just for fun and because yay intelligence! please study, learn and practice tadasana. For a while. Take your time. Tadasana, downward facing dog, bhujangasana…. start there. Focus on one or two poses only for the entire month. Break them down, investigate, take notes, etc.
- Please watch, listen to and practice with John Schumacher, renowned Iyengar teacher. I will post a few short videos. This will likely be a practice in patience, unless you're studies have been exclusively in Anusara and/or Iyengar yogas. Learn each asana inside and out. The vinyasa culture has created a culture of injured students, and even teachers, since no one's taking the time to actually learn the poses, the basic fundamentals, and then refine over time. Follow the link to youtube and watch and practice.
- https://youtu.be/a8xSchBUDZ0?list=PLD48C990206230308 -Tadasana/urdhva hastasana
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8xSchBUDZ0&index=3&list=PLD48C990206230308 -Utthita hasta padasana
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJGvClXXffM&list=PLD48C990206230308&index=9 -Prasarita padottanasana
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xKznn99qd4&index=4&list=PLD48C990206230308 -Utthita trikonasana
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z44HkRK6BG8 -Utthita parsvakonasana
- Vocabulary Notebook of Sanskrit terms: either resurrect yours or create a new one
- Recommended Reading: The Gift of Fear by Gavin de Becker